Friday, August 13, 2021

La Pléiade Is 90

 The bookstore Albertine in New York, a project of the Cultural Services of the French Embassy, emails to say that La Bibliothèque de la Pléiade is turning 90 years old this year. The books La  Pléiade produces seem to me admirable physically: compact for the number of pages, generally of a size to slip into a coat pocket, bound so that they don't shut on one. And I don't doubt that the editing is superb--the notes in the two volumes I have are full and informative--though I'm in no position to judge it.

Albertine is offering a deal whereby the purchase of two or more Pléiade volumes gets one a "magnificent Flaubert La Pléiade album". I have no idea what this album might be. However, it occurred to me that a Pléiade volume of Descartes might be a good thing to have. I checked, and found that Oeuvres et lettres cost $71, more than I had it in mind to spend. There are certainly other volumes published by the Pléiade that I wouldn't mind having. But if they are comparably priced--and a volume of Flaubert was $86--I think I'll hold off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment