Monday, August 30, 2021

Falling Trees

 On the morning of Friday, August 20, the car in front of me made an oblique right turn onto New Hampshire Avenue NW from the left lane of 16th St. southbound. I followed him, for as he turned, I could see that a tree was down across 16th about half a block south of U St. Judging from what the cleanup crews left, its roots had simply given up, and it had fallen:

 On the evening of Thursday, August 26, I was merging onto 16th St. NW from 15th St., when I saw buses turning off on to Irving. This suggested that something was wrong up ahead, and I detoured to 14th. When I came back west on Upshur, I could see what was wrong: a tree was down across the northbound lanes, so northbound traffic was diverted through one of the southbound lanes. This tree did not pull up from the roots:

 I can't imagine what splintered it so.

Then on Saturday a tree was down across Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park between West Beach Drive and Wise Road. A fellow on a bicycle supposed that it had fallen about two hours before, say 10:30 in the morning. I did not look for how it had fallen, just stepped through branches and went on my way. A friend lost power for several hours when a tree fell across Dale Drive near Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment