Thursday, August 26, 2021

Found on the Carts

 About forty years ago, I lent to a friend my copy of The Geography of the Imagination, by Guy Davenport. Shortly thereafter, her household began a renovation. The last thing I heard of the book was that they believed they knew in which octant of the house it was. We lost touch, and I forgot about it. Some years later I saw the book listed in a catalogue, and bought another copy.

Last week, I was at Second Story Books to pick up a couple of books purchased through the store's website. My preferred way to the store leads up 20th St. NW, past the outdoor $4 book carts, and as usual I dawdled to look. There I found a copy of The Geography of the Imagination in its original North Point Press edition. Of course I bought it, for there is bound to be someone I know who could use a copy.

Now Second Story Books is not far from the house where my old copy went missing. Did I buy that copy for the second time? I think not: another book bought about then shows that forty years ago I was still writing my name and address inside front covers, and this copy is not so marked. Even it were, I would not blame the friend for selling it, if she did. Certainly I have books on my shelves given or lent to me, with their provenance forgotten, and probably I have handed some of them off to Goodwill or Carpe Librum.

No comments:

Post a Comment