Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Dry

 In the early 1980s, when I ran a lot, I knew all the water fountains along Rock Creek from Peirce Mill to above Knowles Avenue in Kensington. During the months that they were working, I suppose May through September, I often stopped to drink.

By the time we moved into the District in 2004, and I started to run often in Rock Creek Park again, I no longer ran distances that called for water stops. I did see a fair number of runners with water supplies--"camelbacks" or belts with half-pint bottles. This amused me, for I thought that at least in the warm months they could have spared the weight, and drunk from the public fountains.

Then this past weekend, I found myself very thirsty while running. On Saturday, I stopped at the water fountains at picnic groves 10 and 6, and found that they produced just a little dribble of water. One can, given time, fill up a water bottle from the fountain, for I saw some young women doing so. But one can't conveniently drink. I may look into the status of other fountains, but if so I will wait until the weather is cooler and I am not very thirsty.

No comments:

Post a Comment