Monday, June 26, 2023

Once or Twice

 Recently I encountered the company name Apax. It occurred to me that this needed only a rough-breathing mark to read as "hapax", a Greek word I first encountered in "hapax legomenon", a philologist's term (or so I understand) for a word encountered once only in the known writings. By itself it means something like once, once only, once for all.

When I looked at Perseus's version of Liddell and Scott, I found that the first citation given was from the Odyssey, Book 12, line 22. In that context Circe is wondering at Odysseus's men, who have returned from Hades's home, and might be considered ultimately as subject to dying twice, when other men die once for all. According to Stanford's notes to his edition of The Odyssey, the word for dying twice, δισθανέες, appears only there: it is a "hapax legomenon."

No comments:

Post a Comment