Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Embassy Fences

 I try to walk to or from work a couple of times every week. My route consists almost entirely of 16th St., NW, and takes me past the Polish and Lithuanian embassies a bit before the halfway point. From time to time, they have exhibits on their fences worth seeing.

For a week or two, the Polish fences have been bare. The last set of placards concerned the first passage of a South American river, or of a portion of it that ran to falls and rapids. Before that, there were posters about noted Polish archaeological work


and about noted Polish scientists
 


 The most interesting exhibits, several years ago, showed Polish posters from the 1930s and on.

Last year, the Lithuanian embassy had displays showing modernist architecture in Lithuania:



 

 I am not a qualified judge of architecture, but I thought the buildings all at least handsome. Those are gone, now, though. In their place, there are posters concerning the 700th birthday of Vilnius. I wouldn't mind seeing Vilnius: still, I think the Vilnius posters less interesting than the ones about architecture.


No comments:

Post a Comment