Friday, February 24, 2023

Certificates

Our internet-service provider (ISP) gives us an email account, which we use mostly for the neighborhood listserv. Yesterday, it became inaccessible, for the web server has an invalid certificate. Chrome says

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

and curl says

curl: (60) schannel: SEC_E_UNTRUSTED_ROOT (0x80090325) - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.

Yesterday I explained this to a support staffer at the ISP. This was not something she could diagnose or fix, and I did not suppose that it would be. Still, I wanted it brought to the attention of those who could correct the certificates. The certificates are not fixed, though I'm sure she did her best to report the error. The last one in the chain expires today, but I have no confidence that the one that replaces it will be better. It could be a week or so before I can log in to the webmail page without telling a browser to ignore errors.

 Bad certificates happen, and I've let one or two linger a day or two past expiration date. Still, it amazes me than an ISP would let this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment