Saturday, December 31, 2022

Year's Reading

I omit some books I didn't care for. By category, fiction first:

  • House Full of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday. Worth reading, though it has on it the marks of the first novel.
  • Changing Places and Small World by David Lodge, the first two of a trilogy set in the academic world. Both are very funny, with much of the fun being of the boys behaving badly type, academic division. I suppose that I should go on and read Nice Work.
  • A Conspiracy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I liked this novel better forty years ago.
  • The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud.
  • The Bell by Iris Murdoch.

Philosophy:

  • Of Human Freedom and The Unconditional in Human Knowledge: Four Early Essays (1794-1796) by F.W.J. Schelling. These helped me with the next,
  • The Science of Knowledge by Fichte, a book I had attempted to read at intervals over almost forty-five years.
  • Minima Moralia by Theodor Adorno.
  • A Theory of Justice by John Rawls.
  •  On Beauty and Being Just by Elaine Scarry. I don't know that I agree with her argument that exposure to beauty increases our tendency to work for justice; but I greatly enjoyed the book.
  • Natural Goodness and Virtues and Vices by Philippa Foot.
  • On Man and Citizen by Thomas Hobbes.
  • Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzche.
  • From Parmenides to Wittgenstein (essays) by G.E.M. Anscombe.

 History:

  • The War of the Running Dogs by Noel Barber, a history of the Malaysian insurgency.
  • The Ukrainian Night by Marci Shore, essentially an oral history of the Maidan in 2014 and the events around it.
  • To Lose a Battle: France 1940 by Alistair Horne.
  • Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization.
  • The Tragedy of Liberation: A History of the Chinese Revolution 1945-1957 by Frank Dikötter.

Miscellaneous:

  • The Walls Around Us by David Owen--most amusing for anyone who has ever worked on an old house.
  • The Flight to Italy by Goethe, a travel diary and selected letters from his visit to Italy in 1786 through 1788.

2 comments:

  1. At least I've read or heard of most of your fiction George. I still have my sights on Lodge and do have one if not both of those on my unread shelves. I have long been interested in the confederacy of dunces. What made it better this time around? I have read The emperor's children, but when it came out so just remember enjoying it. Sounds like it has stood the test of time. I have also read The bell but again my memory is dim.

    Of your philosophy Scarry sounds particularly intriguing though all would be worthwhile if I could put the time to them.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarry's volume has about 140 small pages, and is quickly read. My complaint about A Confederacy of Dunces was that I could not hear, or anyway hear and believe the main character's voice. Apparently I didn't notice this forty years ago.

      Delete