Friday, October 14, 2022

Last Words

 A footnote in Philippa Foot's Natural Goodness give alternative versions of William Pitt the Younger's last words:

William Pitt the Younger's last words may have been, "Oh, my country! How I leave my country!", but in a different report, "I think I could eat one of Bellamy's veal pies." See Lord Roseberry, Pitt, p. 269 and Appendix D.

 An essay in Simon Leys's The Hall of Uselessness is called "Tell Them I Said Something", after the purported last words of Pancho Villa in front of a firing squad: "It can't end like this: Tell them I said something." The account that Leys gives seems unlikely, for Villa died by gunfire, but in an ambush, and probably hadn't the time to say much of anything. Pitt's friends, though, may have done well by him in telling what he might have said.

John Adams seems to have come up with admirable last words: "Jefferson survives." But they just missed being correct, for Jefferson died a little earlier on the same day, July 4, 1826,

No comments:

Post a Comment