Monday, May 16, 2022

People Also Ask

 A moment ago, I went to Google to verify the title of A Confederacy of Dunces, being momentarily unsure about the article. The first item on the page is a link to Wikipedia, and a very brief description. Just below that is a heading, "People also ask", under which the first question is

What is the point of A Confederacy of Dunces?

I am reminded of a passage from Leave It to Psmith, when the librarian remarks to Psmith that the detective novel he is reading looks quite enjoyable, and Psmith, then masquerading as a Canadian poet, says, "Ah, but what does it teach?".

3 comments:

  1. It was me that asked that question. I have failed a multitude of times with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As farce, it definitely has its moments. The cost-benefit ratio will depend on how pleasant or how painful one finds reading about such characters.

      Delete
    2. Or let me say "tedious" rather than "painful".

      Delete