Thursday, November 4, 2021

Wonders and Cuff-Links

 Glenn Creason, for many years a reference librarian at the Los Angeles Public Library, has retired, and posted a farewell on the library's blog. I had never heard of him, or thought about that library, but clearly I was missing out:

 There is nothing quite like the variety in the ridiculous to the sublime public who visit libraries. I will miss the unpredictable curiosity of my patrons. Once I could rattle off "the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus" as one of "the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" or patiently explain that I found no evidence that Columbus was wearing cuff-links when he discovered America. I could go on for several hundred more pages but it is only the law of averages when you get a hundred thousand questions there will be some bizarre fun in there.

Many thanks to the person who posted the link to Hacker News.


No comments:

Post a Comment