Wednesday, April 28, 2021

S Mode

Last week, I picked up a newly purchased laptop, not very powerful, but more than sufficient for the limited purposes I had in mind. The initial setup somehow required that I log in to Microsoft, which was briefly frustrating, since I had forgotten my password and the reset prompts confused me a little. Still, I got it set up, checking off No to about eight categories of data Hewlett Packard and Microsoft thought I might care to send them. Then it was time to download the software I wished to use.

In trying to run the first installer, I learned that I would have to take the computer out of "S Mode". In S Mode, I learned, one can only run programs downloaded from the Microsoft Store. I can see the advantage of this for some users, for whom it probably makes computer use safer. I cannot quite see why one should have to go to the Microsoft Store to turn S Mode off, but I did. A friend in the computer business says that S Mode is for Windows 10 Home Edition, and that he always upgrades clients' machines to Windows 10 Professional first thing.

I was soon back at the Microsoft Store, for one of the first installers I ran was for Python. But when I entered "python" at a command prompt, the browser suddenly opened to the Microsoft Store, offering to download Python 3.7. I had forgotten this behavior from last year, when I first installed Python on a Windows 10 machine; but I quickly remembered it, and last year's brief but intense irritation. I looked up the instructions, and was soon able to run the Python I wanted.

I also removed programs running alphabetically from Amazon and Booking.com through XBox. This was not necessary to my purposes, but I didn't care to have them taking up space. Taken together with S Mode, they suggested that HP and Microsoft were selling into a market where the user wished to have his hand held and helped to shop. Perhaps some users want that.  

The setup was a little quirky, but not bad compared to what one used to go through. And having worked through the setup, I find that the machine does quite well what I bought it for.

4 comments:

  1. I share your irritation although not your skill, sadly, which means I'm stock with many of the things you have so cleverly removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you right-click on such an item in the Start menu, the context menu that pops up may include "Uninstall".

      Delete
  2. Or, in my situation, you ask your infinitely technologically competent spouse! I read your post George and I wonder what I would do without him! Just understanding the ramifications of the decisions you make is really challenging it seems to me. I hear part of what he tells me then start to glaze ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is much to be said for complementary areas of competence between spouses, isn't there?

      Delete