Saturday, December 30, 2023

The End of An Era

 It is now almost impossible to buy incandescent light bulbs. We have a dwindling stock in the basement, which we know we cannot replenish. On the whole, I'm happy that LEDs have superseded them. The great advantage of LEDs, of course, is the huge savings in electricity. And though the light can be a bit blue, I prefer it to the dead light of fluorescents. Some we have bought recently have a warm color nearer that of incandescents.

 On the other hand, what about 25-watt bulbs for sconces or chandeliers? What if these are on a rheostat? I gather from a recent visit to the store that the manufacturers have largely taken care of that. Yet I hear that some LEDs behave better than others.

My parents didn't know a time before incandescent light bulbs. I grew up with them. But the toddlers in my neighborhood may be the last generation to know them, if their parents haven't already switched to LEDs.



3 comments:

  1. I have worried off and on about the disappearing light bulbs or years now. Worried about missing their warn glow and how to replicate that experience.Makes me wonder about how people felt about the disappearance of candles and glass light. Loved your post. If you're curious about me, you'll find my blog here: https://tedleonhardt.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about William Manchester as a historian, but I have always admired the title of his history of the Middle Ages, A World Lit Only by Fire. The admiration for the title hasn't so far led to me to his book.

      Delete
    2. (To read his book, that is.)

      Delete