Saturday, July 16, 2022

A Tech Tip

 On Friday, I noticed a blog post by Tim Bray on the deficits in machine learning (ML). One of the cases he mentioned was Google's occasional tendency to place wanted emails in the Spam folder. On reading this, it occurred to me that I had recently found an email from a friend in the Spam folder. I had then marked that email as not spam, or anyway moved it to the in box, and hoped this would serve as a hint. I checked, though, and found seven such emails going back about three weeks.

Having moved these back to the in box, I had a look at the Gmail settings. It turns out that there is an option under "Filters and Blocked Addresses" to provide an email and use the setting "Never send it to Spam." The lesson seems to be that Gmail users should periodically check the Spam folder, which holds messages for one month only, and that they should remember that "Filters and Blocked Addresses" can be used to add never-blocked addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment