Friday, March 13, 2020

Preparing

The morning paper had a list of closings:
  • All public schools in Maryland, for two weeks.
  • All Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Washington will follow the Maryland schedule.
  • Effective Saturday, weddings and funerals to be the only Masses celebrated in the archdiocese, and those attended only by immediate family, until further notice.
The District of Columbia announced that it was closing its public schools for two weeks, effective Monday.

At the office, I heard that our reseller is sold out of HP laptops. The reseller thought it possible that we could get Lenovo laptops; but I didn't hear whether we could, or will.

After work, I walked up to Kramerbooks at Dupont Circle. In less than a mile, I passed two persons carrying large monitors. I infer that they are taking them home to use with laptops. In the years  since flat-screen (i.e easily portable) monitors became readily available, I don't think I've ever seen anyone carry them on the streets.

2 comments:

  1. Monitors? Has the coming apocalypse become an occasion for hoarding electronic devices? Has the world gone mad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not I think hoarding, simply preparing. For many purposes, a large monitor is preferable to a laptop screen. The young persons I saw with the monitors probably expected their offices to be closed for a week or so, and hoped to work more efficiently at home. My guess is that the monitors will go back to the office in a few weeks.

      Delete