Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Quiet

We stayed Friday night at a hotel near Harrisburg. On Saturday morning, I went downstairs before 7:00, for I was thoroughly awake. After a small breakfast, I wanted to read. I found that there was no public area out of earshot of a television. At one point, I had the notion of trying the fitness center; but a man was working out and watching the TV while he did so. I did manage to read from a chair that seemed to be at the optimal distance between televisions, such that words could hardly be distinguished from either. 

 I suppose that the chain has made a study of its clients' preferences, and has found that the television-everywhere group outnumbers those who wish to avoid it. If so, I wish the hotel would make a gesture toward accommodating the minority.

No comments:

Post a Comment