Friday, May 10, 2024

Kant in the Newspaper

 The May 2 print edition of the New York Times carried an article with the headline "Vision of a World Liberated by Reason", and devoted to the 300th anniversary of Immanuel Kant's birth. The article was published on-line on the anniversary, April 22, with the title "Why the World Still Needs Immanuel Kant". I suppose that ten days' delay counts for little on a scale of three centuries .

The need for Kant is a mediated one. My neighbors are in general well educated and many of them are widely read. But I suspect that if I were to go door to door claiming that I had misplaced my copy of The Critique of Practical Reason and asking to borrow the household's, I would have sore knuckles before I got the book. Yet his influence does persist. The Times this week carried a review of book considering John Rawls's A Concept of Justice: and Rawls drew heavily on Kant.

No comments:

Post a Comment