Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Schoenhof's Is Closing

This evening, I clicked on the "Promotions" folder in GMail, thinking that perhaps there might be something from Schoenhof's. There was, but it was not what I wanted to see. The gist of it runs
It is with some sadness that we announce our retail store in Harvard Square will be opening its doors for the last time on March 25, 2017. However, we will continue to be available to you 24/7 at www.schoenhofs.com. The cost of rent in Harvard Square coupled with online competition has forced us to make this decision.
Now, having been to Schoenhof's exactly once, almost four years ago, and having purchased only a couple of books from them since, I can't claim to have done much to keep it going. And I suppose that it is impressive that the store held on so long in so expensive a neighborhood: Larry McMurtry pulled Booked Up out of Georgetown a good twenty years ago. But I find this disheartening.

Meanwhile,
From February 22 until the store locks its doors for the last time on March 25, there will be a closing sale starting with 50% off domestic titles and 60% off foreign titles.
So I suppose I will stock on some reading that I won't get to for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment