Friday, June 3, 2016

Federalism and the Household Budget

The musical "Hamilton" will play at the Kennedy Center during the 2017-2018 season. The Kennedy Center has made it known that the best way to ensure that you will be able to buy a ticket is to purchase subscriptions for the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 season. At the current rate, that would cost about $1000. I suppose that is reasonable if one likes the rest of what the subscriptions comprise.

The June newsletter from Second Story Books offers John Adams's A Defence of the Constitutions of the United States, three volumes, printed in London in 1794, for $3500. At this point, I'm not sure I have the stamina for three volumes of unmixed John Adams. (His correspondence with Jefferson, collected in two volumes, is very readable.) If I did, and if my budget for reckless purchases were a few times larger, on the whole I'd rather have the books than the tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment