Monday, October 7, 2013

Socks and Seasons

The sailors of Annapolis, Maryland, celebrate the Spring Equinox with "The Burning of the Socks", a ceremony I have never seen, and am grateful never to have found myself downwind of. The notion is that one does not wear socks on a sailboat during the warm season, understood to run from the Spring Equinox to the Autumn Equinox. I have sailed on the Chesapeake Bay only seldom, and long enough ago that I can't say whether I honored this rule.

Still, there does come a point in the spring when my costume around the house becomes shirt, shorts, and no socks. I don't suppose that point is just at the equinox, for I consult comfort above calendar, which might mean late April or even May. As the fall approaches, I find it cool, and wonder whether the season is over. Lately, I've tried to make it to October. This year, I felt almost uncomfortable for the last week of September, and began to wonder whether I was carrying the notion too far. But I was out of the house the first of October, and about that time it turned warm again, even hot.

We are back to October weather, though, and I guess that the socks are here to stay.






No comments:

Post a Comment