Sunday, November 21, 2021

Data Protection

 Among the email accounts we use is one provided by our internet service provider (ISP). Most of the traffic comes from the neighborhood listserv, but we do use it for dinner invitations, book club news, and so on. The user interface is a bit clumsy.  Still, we're accustomed to it, we use it regularly.

But not from the European Union. On Saturday I tried to log in, and received an error page saying that the page http://webmail.[name-withheld].com/gdpr does not exist. I infer that somebody at the ISP decided that persons logging on with network addresses in European ranges should get a message stating the ISP's policy of adherence to the EU's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR); and that somebody else neglected to set that page up, or set it up with the wrong URL. So at the moment I can't conveniently get into that email account. Yes, I could connect to the office network over its virtual private network and so connect to webmail with a US network address, but that doesn't count as convenient.

  I think GDPR makes sense. I just wish that our ISP didn't stop halfway in its recognition of it.

3 comments:

  1. Naples, leaving tomorrow for Rome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful. It's me, Zoe, by the way, although my computer is making me anonymous this evening, for reasons I don't understand. Have a lovely time.

      Delete