Thursday, September 10, 2020

Late Summer

 This morning, in passing through Carter-Barron, I noticed that last night's rains had brought down most of the flowers from the crape myrtles to the west of the tennis center. The asphalt pavement was patterned in tiny petals of pink. Crape myrtles resemble cherry trees in having small-petaled flowers that look elegant when fallen. Magnolias are splendid in bloom, but the fallen flowers turn brown while still conspicuous.

 Crape myrtles bloom after many flowering trees, then hold on to their flowers for most of the summer. The rain didn't wash off all the flowers in this neighborhood, for this afternoon I saw a number still blooming. The ones I saw were white, not pink, but I didn't go out of my way to search.

 

2 comments:

  1. In my neck of the woods, the crepe myrtles bloom twice a year .... early spring ... late summer .... now the leaves have begun to fall off .... might be different variety from those in your region ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep an eye out in the early spring, then. I somewhat exaggerated the attrition of the blossoms: the flowers are diminished but still very visible at Carter-Barron.

      Delete