Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Lost City Books

If you place book carts in front of your store, you can distract the habitual reader from noticing what is written on the windows. It was when I received an unfamiliar bookmark with my change that I glanced at the front door, and found that I was in not Idle Time Books but Lost City Books. I gather from the staff that the sale took place about the first of the year, and that it took a while for the new owners to change the name and the signs.

Idle Times sold only used books, and so does Lost City.The layout and much of the stock are familiar from the Idle Time days. This is comforting in a sense, though more turnover would be better for the store's health. Still, on Saturday afternoon, when I stopped by to pick up a book held for me, I was behind a young man who bought eight or so books.

Lost City Books is at 2467 18th St. NW, about the fourth property downhill from Columbia Road in Washington's Adams-Morgan neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment