Thursday, February 14, 2019

Feasts

Today on the Roman Catholic calendar, it is the Feast of Sts. Cyril and Methodius. A Tridentine Missal printed in the 1950s calls February 14 the Feast of St. Valentine; but at some intervening time Sts. Cyril and Methodius have been promoted ahead of him in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches. At one time their feast fell on July 7, but it has, Wikipedia says, been moved to coincide with the date of St. Cyril's death. A calendar I saw described them as patron saints of Europe, which I had not heard; again, Wikipedia has something to say: namely, that John Paul II declared them co-patrons with St. Benedict of Nursia.

1 comment:

  1. Left you a comment about St. Valentine, but now I am thinking about how I know rather little about his replacements! I do like books of saints and am drawn by their frequent extravagance.

    And I just remembered that Carey Wallace is publishing one soon--looked quite attractive.

    ReplyDelete