Monday, February 25, 2013

Philosophy and Twitter

It has occurred to me now and then to wonder how much of Spinoza's Ethics meets the 140-character limit that Twitter imposes. A couple of days away from the office, with my time partly but not entirely my own, gave me the opportunity to write a Perl script to parse the Ethics as provided by the Bibliotecha Augustana, and I found that the answer is quite a bit:
  • about four fifths of the definitions of the passions
  • about three fifths of the propositions
  • about half of the axioms and postulates
  • about two fifths of corollaries and definitions
  • about a third of the lemmas
  • very few of the demonstrations, explications, scholia, and recapitulations.
I should perhaps say Ethica rather than Ethics, for I used the Latin text as being more compressed than the English.

No comments:

Post a Comment