Sunday, July 22, 2012

Oh, to be in Texas, Now That August's Here

Today's Washington Post notes that Larry McMurtry is closing down his Booked Up store in Archer City, Texas. The store's web site confirms this: on August 10 and 11, the store will auction off several hundred thousands of books by the shelf lot. The stores will be open for browsing the week before.

Unfortunately,
  • I don't have a lot of shelf space for shelf lots.
  • I lack the experience needed to buy efficiently when somebody is auctioning off tens of thousand of lots in two days.
  • I have other commitments those days.
The books, then, that I remember from Booked Up's Georgetown days, if still with McMurtry, will be somebody else's prize. To those who have the time, the space, and the money, I can only quote Booked Up:

EXPERIENCE TEXAS IN AUGUST. 

No comments:

Post a Comment