Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May Day

Out for a lunchtime stroll on May Day, I entered Franklin Square from the northeast corner, from which point I saw a number of persons frolicking down where the paths crossed. The men, and a couple of the women, were dressed in knee-breeches and white shirts, and wore derbies. Most of the women wore long dresses of a light cloth in various colors, perhaps tie-dyed. As I got nearer, I could see that one of the men was playing on a small accordion. The circle unwound itself as the dancers flourished white handkerchiefs.

Morris dancers, I guessed, and a check once back at the desk showed that these were the Foggy Bottom Morris Men. This was their third event of the day, the first two--no real surprise--having been in Takoma Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment